Friday 19 November 2010

The Basics

I'm a big believer in acquiring, possessing and regularly using the elements necessary for a capsule wardrobe.  Once you have all the key pieces you need you can mix and match in endless variations and get continued inspiration from displays, magazines and the street.  I have found for the past few years that I really do have everything I need already in my wardrobe; every time I look around the shops I just find new ways to put these pieces together.

The basic essentials upon which to build are:

a black leather jacket


leather boots - in black, brown or tan.  These are the one item that would be ideal to have in several pairs as they really make such a difference to any outfit.  Flat boots are great for the daytime, and a kitten heel or stack heel fab for the evening or a special occasion.


a sweater dress in a neutral colour, eg grey, black or brown.  Polo or v-neck.  With a contrasting belt!  I love tan with grey...


a collection of white & black jersey tops - to layer under cardigans or on their own for a simple statement.



white and black vests - to layer under dresses or t-shirts with a lower neckline - I searched high and low for these for years and found the perfect vest in gap body!  Bought loads so I always have one ready to go - I probably wear one every day!

 


white skirt (depending on season...) - white is my absolute favourite colour ; I think a white knee-length straight skirt or a white maxi skirt are v useful...




denim skirt - I have a few of these, the best style is a straight, knee length in a dark denim - this is prob the most useful item for a girl who doesn't wear jeans!


black skirt - black can be boring but also useful I have to admit... I have a knee length ra-ra style which I wear a lot, and a knee length straight black denim one


leggings - good to layer under knee length skirt with trainers, flip flops or ballet flats....

 

cardigans - I am a big fan of cardigans, especially with the english autumn/winter we get here!  I love to belt them and layer them....


parka for the rainy weather - I like one that has a bit of waist definition so you don't get too swamped.  A bit of (fake) fur round the hood adds some glamour!

 

maxi dress/skirt - I wasn't such a big fan of these at first as I am not that tall, but I guess i changed my mind...


flared knee length / circle skirt - not sure how to describe this style adequately but all I know is that this is a new look for me but I've been wearing a light chambray denim one all summer as an alternative to the straight denim skirt - def much cooler in the heat!


wrap dresses - I fell in love with these when I was first pregnant a few years ago....you can't beat them!  They are so wearable and flattering and are the perfect fall back whenever you are stuck.  Plain black is a great essential, then you could look out for different patterns and colours.  They look great with boots and can be accessorised with belts and jewellery for a different look each time.


More to come next time! ... xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment